The Seaforth Armoury is a Canadian Forces armory located at 1650 Burrard Street in Vancouver, British Columbia. The building was designed by the architectural firm of McCarter and Nairne, and is now listed as a Class A Heritage Building. From their creation in 1910 until 1935 The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada paraded at the Beatty Street Drill Hall with the Duke of Connaught’s Own Rifles. The government was petitioned for a separate armory to house the regiment and in the early 1930s a site was selected. The site selected was a plot of unused land at the south end of the recently completed Burrard Street Bridge. The address was fixed at 1650 on what had been called Cedar Street but upon completion of the bridge Cedar Street became Burrard Street.
Work began in 1935 and construction was finished in 1936. The Armoury was opened on the 26th of August 1936. The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada formed up in a hollow square and The Governor General, Lord Tweedsmuir took the Royal Salute as the first parade was held on the Square.
The museum houses an extensive collection of Seaforth history and memorabilia and is worthwhile visiting for those who had family serve in the Regiment and those with an interest in the military history of Vancouver’s Infantry Regiment. On display are items from both world wars, Afghanistan and other operations between.
1650 Burrard Street,
Vancouver, BC V6J 3G4
Regimental Historical Contact – email@example.com