June 13, 2015 -- The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Regimental Association is pleased to announce that it is ready to receive applications for the 2015 Post Secondary Education Bursary Fund.
This year the Association will offer two $500 bursaries and the $1000 John Conway Memorial Bursary.
Completed applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2015.
Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Regimental Association
4050 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver BC V6R 1P6
Classroom, Seaforth Lines, Jericho Garrison
Annual General Meeting, 20 May, 2015
- Call to order 2005 hours
- Annual meeting of Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Association
- Email notices were sent out to all current and former members of the Association.
- Email reminders were sent out
- Moment of silence for fallen comrades.
- Review of interim financial statements:
Membership dues are down significantly, kit shop sales are down, Seaforth Hockey team sponsorship very well utilized by all ranks, bursary donations being received and made available to regimental family, Vimy Dinner broke even, balance sheet $12,800.00, accounts receivable $1,200.00 Vimy Dinner subsidy from Seaforth Foundation, $56,00.00 members equity.
- President’s remarks:
Vimy Dinner had 182 attend, largest attendance in twenty-four years, very successful event.
- Special resolution:
- Bylaw 27, to reduce minimum number of Directors from five to three. (Ciccone, MacDonald) All in favour. Passed.
- Election of new Executive:
Al Baylis Chairperson of Nominations Committee report:
- Proposed slate:
President: Josh Muir (by acclimation)
Secretary: Patrick Farrell (by acclimation)
Treasurer: Kent Fabian (by acclimation)
Director-at large: Rod Hoffmeister, Padre Neill McRae and Rick Ciccone. (by acclimation)
- Life membership nominations: None at this time.
- New business: None at this time.
- Call for adjournment:
Seaforth Museum Volunteers Working Hard In the last few months the Museum has received three significant artifacts:
- Margaret Currie, widow of a former Seaforth, donated three boxes of WW1 glass slides and the original projector. Two of the boxes contain rare photos of WW1 battlefields including Vimy and Passchendaele. The slides are in a very delicate condition so they have been photographed and digitized. Some were used last weekend during the Vimy Dinner. They will form an important part of our collection and of the online museum’s upcoming WW1 exhibits.
- The Quayle family donated a FG 42 German machine gun captured during the battle of Ortona. This weapon would have been used against Canadian Forces as they fought to capture the town of Ortona and as a result has special significance for our Regiment.
- A box of audio cassettes of interviews of WW2 veterans of the Italian Campaign produced by Ken McLeod has been donated and now converted to digital. Ken has kindly given us permission to place the interviews on our website. They will be used to augment our written history and will give the listener a better understanding of what it was like to been in the middle of a battle.
Please visit our museum on line at www.seaforthhighlanders.ca
The museum site now contains the War Diaries of both World Wars and well as online copies of both Regimental histories. Photos of the full collection of artifacts are slowly being added to the site so it is always expanding.
The Museum volunteers are now beginning the planning process for the return to the Seaforth Armouries next year. While there will be some Museum space, the intent is to place most of the exhibits around the Parade Square, Messes, hallways and offices. This will allow both soldiers and visitors to explore the collection on a daily basis. Understanding where we have been and not just where we are going is an important part of being a member of the Seaforth Regimental Family.
The Museum staff can either add the piece to the collection if the owner is not ready to part with it, photograph and digitize it for the website. Valuable items entering the collection will be appraised and tax receipts issued.
The Museum is supported by the Seaforth Foundation, Patrons, and the Regimental Association. We will need additional funds to finance the return to the Armouries. If you wish to contribute, please contact HCol Mike Shields, Museum Chair (email@example.com. Tax receipts will be issued.
2017 WW1 Battlefield Tour Being Planned
2017 will be the centennial of two of the most significant Seaforth battles of the First World War – Vimy and Passchendaele. LCol Paul Ursich has agreed to lead this tour. Members of the Battalion as well as the rest of the Regimental Family will be invited to come.
We will provide more details as they become available.
- The date of the Association AGM is May 20th – not April 20 as previously reported.
- The second veteran traveling to Holland is Jock McStay. Jock Murray was the British Naval Officer that dropped the Seaforth Commander on the wrong beach in Sicily July 10, 1943.
Sorry for the confusion.
AGM to be held April 20. 8 pm in Jericho Garrison Conference Room 4050 West 4th Avenue. It will be followed by a reception in the Combined Mess. You should have already received the formal Notice of Meeting by email. All current and past members are welcome to attend but only paid up members will be authorized to vote. We will be happy to receive annual dues at the door. It is not expected that any of the current executive plan to stand for election. Your President will have completed a two year term and needs to focus on his duties of Honorary Lieutenant Colonel. It is time for younger members to step up into a leadership role. LCol (ret) Al Baylis has agreed to chair the Nominating Committee again this year.
If you have an interest in running for election, please contact him at the following: Telephone: 604 591 7089 email firstname.lastname@example.org You can also contact President Rod Hoffmeister for information regarding position details and responsibilities The Special Resolution to reduce the minimum number of Directors from 5 to 3 is intended to help streamline the management of the Association. It has the full support of the current executive.
98th Annual Vimy Memorial Service and Seaforth Reunion Dinner was a Big Success
The dinner was held last Saturday with about 190 people attending. This was the largest turnout in years. There was a good mix of soldiers, members of the Regimental family, spouses, partners, and guests. A highlight of the evening was the dedication by Padre McRae of the replica Vimy Cross. The building of the replica was done by a team led by Sieg Linzmeier. The new cross now contains all the names of the Seaforths that fall at the Battle of Vimy Ridge. The original cross will now be able to remain in a safe place of honour. Cpl Dave Strachan was awarded the Fairweather Shield for his contribution to the Battalion and for his work on the Seaforth Museum. Thanks to Rick Ciccone and his committee for their hard work in making the dinner the best in memory.
Change of Command Set for Sunday May 31st
The Change of Command from LCol Scott Raesler to LCol Paul Ursich will take place at the Jericho Garrison at 1pm. Everyone is welcome to attend to welcome LCol Ursich back as CO.
Three Veterans set to attend 70th Anniversary Celebrations of the Liberation of the Netherlands
Jack Rossiter, Jock Murray, and William Stoker will be traveling to Holland in May to represent the Association as part of the Official Delegation. HCol Mike Shields and HLCol Rod Hoffmeister will also be attending with their wives. Special remembrance will be paid to the graved of the 27 brave Seaforths who lie in the Holten Cemetery.
The Fight for Italy
The publisher of the Legion Magazine has produced a special collector's addition of the fight for Italy. It includes great photos and an excellent commentary by Mark Zuehllke. It can be found on most newstands until June. It should be of interest to all Seaforths past & present.
We hope to see you at the AGM
Rod Hoffmeister, Association President
THE SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS OF CANADA REGIMENTAL ASSOCIATION (the “Society”)
NOTICE OF THE 2015 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the 2015 Annual General Meeting of the Society will be held
on May 20, 2015
at 8:00 p.m.
at: The Conference Room of the Jericho Garrison 4050 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver B.C.
for the following purposes:
- To receive and consider the President’s Report on the affairs of the Society, and the financial statements of the Society for the financial year ended June 30, 2014 and April 2015 Year to Date.
- To conduct the following special business:
Vote on the Resolution to amend Bylaw 27 to reduce the minimum number of Directors from five to three.
- To elect Directors for the 2015-2016 year
Dated as of April 11, 2015
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The monthly meeting of the Association Directors will take place at the Jericho Garrison Anderson Room next Monday November 17th at 7:30pm. The main item for discussion will be the future role and direction of the Association.
May 7, 2014 We are pleased to announce the second year of the Post Secondary Bursary Program.
This year we will be awarding the $1,000 John Conway Bursary in addition to the two $500 Association Bursaries for a total of $2000.
Preference will be given to Serving Members of the Regiment or Members of the Cadet Corps
Application forms are available here: http://seaforthhighlanders.ca/organization/regimental-association/
Vancouver, November 8, 2013 -- We are pleased to announced that we have awarded the 2013 Seaforth Highlander Regimental Association Bursaries to Anna Gangaeva, PHD Candidate graduate student, University of British Columbia
Jacob Foster, Law Enforcement Studies Diploma program, Justice Institute of British Columbia.
Congratulations to both of these deserving students.
New Executive The Annual General Meeting of the Association was held on March 21, 2013.
The following were elected as directors of the Association for 2013/14
Directors at Large
[/twocol_one] [twocol_one_last]Rod Hoffmeister
Directors meetings will be held on the 3rd Thursday of the month at 7:30pm in the Anderson Room, Jericho Garrison, 4050 W. 4th Ave, Vancouver.
The Vimy Dinner will be held Saturday, April 5th at the Bessborough Armoury, 2025 W. 11th at 4pm.