The Seaforth Highlanders

of Canada

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada are Vancouver’s infantry regiment, based in Vancouver, British Columbia. As a reserve force in the Canadian Forces, The Seaforth Highlanders have served in times of war, humanitarian and disaster relief and in peacemaking efforts abroad, and during times of civil emergency at home.  The Regiment is comprised of volunteer soldiers who offer their time, their commitment to serve, their skills and their ever-lasting dedication to achieving the Canadian freedoms we enjoy today.

Return to Vimy

"As part of the Vimy Foundation’s First World War in Colour project, we have partnered with the National Film Board of Canada on a unique and exciting short film featuring colourized First World War footage. We hope it will help Canadians better appreciate what the First World War may have been like for the people who lived it."

The NFB and the Vimy Foundation have been working together to spread greater awareness about Canada’s role in the First World War since 2014. With over 600 films on both World Wars, the NFB was the perfect partner to help bring this film to life! To explore their collection visit their website.

Return to Vimy uses an evocative storyline interweaving colourized archives and brief segments of animation to tell the story of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces’ efforts during the First World War. Inspired by the pilgrimage of thousands of yearly visitors to the Vimy Memorial, this is the first time the NFB has colourized its own archives for a film. Colour brings a new dimension to well-known battle scenes, rarely seen behind-the-line footage and the only panoramic shot of Vimy Ridge, filmed right after the victory.

Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum Launches First World War Education Program

Seaforth Armoury early morning 24 Sept 2016 No-43.jpg
Seaforth Armoury early morning 24 Sept 2016 No-27.jpg

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum is currently piloting their First World War Education Program.  Aimed at students ages 14-18 (grades 9-12), this program includes a battlefield reconnaissance activity, artifact handling, and an examination of the cost of war.  Students will learn about pre-war Vancouver, what it took to be a soldier during World War I, and conditions in the trenches of the First World War.  All activities have been designed in consultation with the BC curriculum, and can be adapted for the needs of each group. 

The Seaforth Highlanders Museum also offers a First World War Battle Box, containing activities, artifacts, and primary sources for groups that aren’t able to visit the museum directly.

Education Programs featuring the Second World War, Peacekeeping, and Modern Soldiers are coming soon.

Location: Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum, 1650 Burrard Street

Duration: 2 hours

Grades: 9-12 (ages 14-18)

Cost: Currently available free of charge

Contact: Meghan Stewart, Assistant Curator



The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada announce new Honorary Colonel and Honorary Lieutenant Colonel

 Honorary Colonel

Honorary Colonel

(Vancouver, BC) - The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada are pleased to announce the appointment of a new Honorary Colonel and Honorary Lieutenant Colonel at an official Regimental ceremony.  Rod Hoffmeister has been promoted to Honorary Colonel while David McLean has been appointed Honorary Lieutenant Colonel with Vancouver’s Infantry Regiment.

Rod Hoffmeister has been the Seaforth’s Honorary Lieutenant Colonel for the past six years. He is also the Director of the Seaforth Museum & Archives.  Vancouver born and educated, Hoffmeister has worked in various management positions in the BC Forest Industry in manufacturing, sales, and marketing capacities.   Hoffmeister is a Director of Valour Canada, member of Canada Company and a member of Capilano University School of Business Advisory Board.

David G. McLean, O.B.C., LL.D, F.ICD, Chairman, McLean Group of Companies and Chairman Emeritus, Canadian National Railway Company, has been appointed Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada.  A Patron of the Regiment, McLean’s new leadership role with the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada will see him actively involved in the Seaforth community.   Born, raised, and educated in Alberta, McLean moved to Vancouver in 1969 to practice law and expand his business interests.  Over the next several decades he completed numerous residential and commercial real estate projects in Vancouver and throughout North America.  These included a 35-acre land assembly in east Vancouver, now the home of The McLean Group’s Vancouver Film Studios (VFS).    He has served on numerous corporate and charitable boards and has a long-standing commitment to the community he lives and works in.

About the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada:

Vancouver’s Infantry Regiment, The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada - – celebrated their 100-year anniversary in 2010.  Formed in 1910 by members of the local Scottish community, the Seaforths have served as volunteer soldiers, supporting Canada in every major Canadian Forces overseas mission, including the two World Wars and most recently Afghanistan.

Join us on Facebook: DND Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Primary Reserve Unit

Twitter: @Seaforth100          

Media requests:

Fawn Mulcahy


Cell: 604.961.3314

Vancouver-based regiment marks 100-year anniversary of WWI battle

'We lost about half [the battalion] to either being killed, MIA or wounded,' says military official

By Clare Hennig, CBC News Posted: Nov 05, 2017 6:00 AM PT Last Updated: Nov 05, 2017 12:48 PM PT


Canadian soldiers played an instrumental role in the Battle of Passchendaele in Belgium 100 years ago and, this weekend, members of the Vancouver-based Seaforth Highlanders of Canada are commemorating the battle that helped secure an Allied victory during the First World War.

The Battle of Passchendaele was as brutal and bloody as more renowned clashes like the Battle of Vimy Ridge but is often lost in the shadow of other war moments.

More than 4,000 Canadians were killed and almost 12,000 wounded at Passchendaele.

Full Article:

Wounded Soldiers

Chris Petty, MFA '86, TREK Magazine UBC

  His Royal Highness Prince Harry congratulating the   Contact! Unload   team after their performance in London.

His Royal Highness Prince Harry congratulating the Contact! Unload team after their performance in London.

Veterans of war often return home with unbearable memories and deep stress injuries. UBC and the Veterans Transition Network help light a path through the darkness.

Scenario 1: A soldier guarding a checkpoint outside Kandahar, Afghanistan, sees a young boy racing toward the barriers on a bicycle. A number of signs on the road warn against approaching the barrier – unidentified persons will be shot – but the boy ignores them. He’s 100 yards away, then 75, then 50. The soldier raises his gun. Is the boy wrapped in explosives? Once close enough, will he toss a grenade? The soldier has to think fast. If he doesn’t shoot and the boy is bent on destruction, he and his comrades will be killed. The soldier takes aim and begins to squeeze the trigger, but the boy veers off, waves, and rides up a side street.

Scenario 2: A soldier in a communications truck hears of a roadside bomb going off, killing and injuring soldiers on patrol. He immediately calls in for medical support, but is told the area is too dangerous, that a sniper has been spotted on a rooftop nearby. He orders a strike against the sniper, who is then cut in half by fire from a helicopter. The sniper, however, turns out to be an allied soldier who was guarding the scene from enemy fire.

Scenario 3: A soldier on patrol with a small group of comrades steps aside to adjust a piece of equipment and doesn’t notice a man rushing out of a nearby destroyed building. He flings a package at the soldiers and it explodes, killing one and injuring two others. Had the soldier not paused to adjust his rigging, he is sure he would have seen the man and stopped him.

Experiences like these – and others even more horrific – are the scenes that bore into the minds of many returning soldiers and haunt them the rest of their lives. Constant thoughts of guilt, self-loathing and “why was I spared?” go hand in hand with triggers – sirens, loud, unexpected noises, or even a child crying in a grocery store – that can pull the vet back to the initial incident with startling realism. Adrenalin explodes in the vet’s brain, causing panic, disorientation and even thoughts of suicide. Normal, everyday life becomes an elusive concept.

Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) has become a common theme in 21st century life. Whether affecting residential school survivors, bank tellers who have experienced violent robberies, or people who have survived or witnessed gruesome accidents, PTSD is now recognized as a real and debilitating condition that can negatively impact a person for life.

More than 80 per cent of returning Canadian soldiers are deemed medically fit: they have no visible wounds or injuries. But men and women serving as soldiers in war situations are, as a group, some of the most frequent victims of PTSD in North America. Movies and novels tell us of the horrors of war, but it’s a rare piece of fiction that captures accurately what happens to the returning vet. Attempts such as the 1946 Oscar winner, The Best Years of Our Lives, and 1978’s Coming Home, deal with these issues, but miss the grim realities many soldiers experience.

Article Continued:


75 years ago, Vancouver man awarded Victoria Cross for his efforts in Dieppe Raid


  Seventy-five years ago on Aug. 19, 1942, Canada suffered its worst military disaster at the French coastal port of Dieppe.

Seventy-five years ago on Aug. 19, 1942, Canada suffered its worst military disaster at the French coastal port of Dieppe.

Seventy-five years ago on Aug. 19, 1942 during the Second World War, Canada suffered its worst military disaster at the French coastal port of Dieppe. Approximately 5,000 Canadians were involved in the raid — 3,367 Canadians were killed, wounded or captured.

Two Canadians were awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery that day, the first being awarded Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Ingersoll Cecil “Cec” Merritt, commanding officer of the South Saskatchewan Regiment.

Cec Merritt was born just inside the boundary of Stanley Park Nov. 10, 1908 to Sophie Almon Tupper and Cecil Mack Merritt. Cec’s mother was the granddaughter of Nova Scotia’s Father of Confederation and former Prime Minister of Canada, Sir Charles Tupper.

I first met Cec Merritt at a reunion of the South Saskatchewan Regiment (SSR) in Langley in July 1993. One of my first interviews was with Merritt as he recalled the raid with Major Lefty White, who commanded B Company of the SSRs at Dieppe, and Ed Dunkerly, who was a Company Sergeant-Major of D Company at Dieppe. Both Merritt and White were taken prisoner by the Germans. Dunkerly, who suffered three wounds, made it back to England.

Merritt attended Lord Roberts Public School in Vancouver’s West End. His father served with the 16th Canadian Scottish in the First World War and was killed on April 23, 1915 during the Second Battle of Ypres where the Germans first used poison gas on the Western Front. The senior Merritt has no known grave, and his name is commemorated on the Menin Gate in Ypres, Belgium.

Later Merritt would attend University School in Victoria and Royal Military College in Kingston before being taken into his Uncle Reggie Tucker’s law firm where he specialized in maritime law. Merritt joined the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Vancouver Militia in 1926 on the same day that another prominent Seaforth, Bert Hoffmeister, joined the regiment. Hoffmeister would go on to distinguish himself as one of Canada’s finest soldiers of the Second World War, commanding the Seaforth Highlanders in Sicily and Southern Italy, serving as the Brigadier of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade in Ortona, and commanding the 5th Canadian Armoured Division in Italy and the Netherlands. Hoffmeister would finish the war as Canada’s most-decorated officer, being awarded a Distinguished Service Order and two bars as well as numerous other prominent medals and honours. He also is considered by prominent Canadian military historians as Canada’s best-fighting divisional commander of the war.

Merritt and Hoffmeister also joined the Vancouver Rowing Club. Merritt, of solid stature, played football for the Vancouver Meraloma, which played its games at the recreation grounds on Beatty at Dunsmuir Streets where the old Vancouver bus depot used to be.  When I asked Merritt years later about his football experience, he replied, “I could always get them a few yards when the team needed them.”

When the Second World War broke out, Merritt went active and was promoted to company commander. He apologized to his mother that all three siblings had joined the war effort and were headed overseas, to which his mother replied, “I don’t want you to go, but I’d kick you out if you didn’t go.” When the Seaforths left for England in 1939, Merritt commanded “C” Company; 25 years earlier his father had commanded “C” Company of the 16th Canadian Scottish when the battalion went overseas.

Merritt was promoted to lieutenant-colonel to command the South Saskatchewan Regiment in 1941. The 2nd Canadian Infantry Division was chosen by Lieutenant-General Harry Crerar to participate in Operation Rutter, to raid the French coastal resort town of Dieppe in May 1942. In addition to the main beach at Dieppe, No 3 and No 4 British Commandos would land on the eastern and western flanks of the raid to take out the large gun batteries. The Royal Regiment of Canada would land at the small village of Puys to the east of Dieppe, and the South Saskatchewan, reinforced by the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, would land at the village of Pourville to the west of Dieppe. All five landing points involved steep cliffs.

The raid, overseen by Vice-Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten, Chief of Combined Operations, was originally scheduled to take place during the first week of July as Operation Rutter. It was cancelled largely because of unfavourable weather, men went on leave, and was remounted in August 1942 as Operation Jubilee. Corporal Herman Keys recalled the crossing to Dieppe as “a clear and calm moonlit night.” The stillness of the night and sea were broken by a firefight between the No 3 British Commando landing party when they ran into a German convoy near the French Coast. Unfortunately, the incident alerted the Germans to the raid and took away the element of surprise.

The South Saskatchewan Regiment was to land just before dawn astride the River Scie in Pourville, codenamed Green Beach. A and D Companies were to land on the east side of the River Scie, and B and C Companies to the west of the river. All four companies were unfortunately landed on the west side of the River Scie. Only C Company with two platoons of B Company, led by Major Claude Orme, who taught high school in Chilliwack following the war, was successful in capturing its objective, the headlands and gun positions on the cliffs to the west of Pourville. They were the only Canadian unit that day to send the “Sorry” signal to command headquarters that day, the codename for success. The remainder of B Company was to clear the village of Pourville while A and D Companies had to cross a bridge over the River Scie to secure their objectives on the eastern cliffs. A Company had to seize a German radar station, and attached to their regiment was an air force radar technician, Jack Nissenthal, who was to be shot by his own men if he was in danger of being taken prisoner, for fear of the Germans stealing British radar secrets in subsequent interrogations. D Company was to seize a stronghold known as the “Farm of the Four Winds.”

It was in this situation that Colonel Merritt arrived, seeing many of the men reluctant to cross the bridge and taking cover among nearby buildings and structures. “The problem was that we had never been shot at before.” Merritt, who was uncomfortable wearing his helmet because of his large head, stood up on the bridge waving his helmet while ordering his men to follow behind him as he crossed the bridge in a zig-zag manner between volleys of German fire. He did this several times.

Within the hour the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders landed at Pourville to a piper playing “Wi a Hundred Pipers” alongside Lieutenant-Colonel Gosling in the landing craft. Colonel Gosling was fatally struck in the head by a sniper’s bullet as he stepped ashore.

Merritt continued to encourage his men in the advance towards the high ground after they had crossed the bridge. At one point, Merritt himself dodged heavy fire and with hand grenades destroyed one of the enemy pillboxes that was hindering the advance. This was not the only pillbox that Merritt attempted to take out that day. After Corporal Herman Keys had dropped a grenade in the breech of a gun, he pulled Merritt back to safety.

All the SSR veterans whom I interviewed about the SSR at Pourville recall seeing Merritt everywhere that day, leading his men on and rescuing at least two of his officers, Captain Murray Osten, Acting-Company Commander of A Company, was severely wounded and thrown into the River Scie from the force of a shell. It was Merritt who dragged him out of the water. At one point Merritt noticed a pair of light brown boots sticking out from what appeared to be a dead Canadian solder lying near a German pillbox. Merritt recognized these as belonging to Lieutenant Les England, a young man who he was quite fond of. Company Sergeant-Major Ed Dunkerley would say following the raid, “I have never seen a braver man than Colonel Merritt that day at Pourville.”

However, the landings on the beaches at Dieppe and at Puys were not going well. At least half of the Churchill tanks of the Calgary Regiment were unable to advance on the main beach, their tracks being impeded by the type of small stones on the beach, causing the tanks to lose their tracks. Without artillery support and with the destroyers armed only with four-inch guns, it was impossible to gain the high ground. Finally Major-General Ham Roberts, GOC 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, ordered a withdrawal at 11 a.m.

Merritt recalled that the weight of many men trying to push the landing craft off the beach on a falling tide anchored these vessels in the sand. “When things go wrong, they go really wrong!”

With the sound of the large air war overhead, men were slaughtered on the beaches as they ran for the landing craft. Major Lefty White compared the German fire at Pourville to a musical piece, called “The Storm,” beginning as a pitter-patter, then becoming a hailstorm of bullets. What had been a reasonably successful morning for the SSR now threatened to become a disaster. Company Sergeant-Major Ed Dunkerley recalled, “The Germans selected the beach to be the killing ground, and they made a very good job of it. Dunkerley, though wounded in three places, including a serious wound in the hip, recalls helping to throw the bodies of dead Canadian soldiers back into the water so that they could rescue other live Canadian soldiers. “For thirty feet out from the shore or more, the water was red with good Canadian blood.”

On the beach behind the seawall, Merritt organized a fierce rearguard action to enable his men and the men of the Queens’ Own Cameron Highlanders to get off the beach. Along with some of his remaining officers and men, Merritt chose to stay with his men and not to leave the beach until the last possible moment. Under heavy fire, Merritt assembled the remaining forces, guns, and ammunition for this rearguard action. At some point he was wounded in the shoulder as he attempted to retrieve a wounded corporal from the surf. Sergeant Gib Renwick of the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, who became a Vancouver police officer after the war, sought to rescue Merritt, but was himself hit as he carried Merritt to safety. He was later rescued by a German soldier and received the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) for his actions.

Approximately 350 of the 523 SSR soldiers made it back to England. “We got more of our men off the beach than anyone,” reflected Merritt.  Still 84 members of the regiment would lose their lives that day with another 167 wounded, and 89 men captured. Eventually it became apparent to Colonel Merritt that he and his remaining men could not be evacuated from the beach because the Royal Navy were no longer able to send in any more landing craft under such a heavy curtain of German fire. The sight of the last landing craft disappearing through a smokescreen back to England remained forever etched on Merritt’s mind. Merritt and his men were out of ammunition, and with the Germans landing mortar bombs nearby, Merritt felt that there was no point in losing more men in a futile situation.

The job of waving the white flag of surrender fell to the German-speaking Sergeant Abe “Schelley” Schellenberg.

The Canadians now heard the words from their German captors: “For you the war is over.”

Thus began almost three years of captivity in a German prisoner-of-war camp, 18 months of those in wrist shackles after Canadian orders to detain German prisoners with their hands behind their back was found in a Canadian tank at Dieppe, and Hitler ordered retaliatory measures.

The wounded were herded in a cattle car to the Rouen Hospital. Colonel Merritt with his arm in a sling visited each one of his wounded men in the hospital, saying to Paul Delorme, one of the last SSR survivors of the raid who presently lives in England, “We had a lot of fun over there, didn’t we.” One of the nurses who treated the Canadian wounded, Sister Agnes-Marie Valois, is still living at the age of 103 in the Thiebermont Monastery near Dieppe. She has become a great friend of the Canadians receiving many international honours, including the Order of Canada and the Legion of Honour.

Merritt was initially held in a German offlag. Lefty White recalled the prisoners having a great celebration when word of Cec Merritt being awarded the Victoria Cross. “Even the German guards joined in. Merritt, of course, gives credit to the many acts of heroism that day by his men. He marvelled years later at the innovative ability of the Prairie Men to accomplish many tasks. “I never saw fear in the face of any of my men that day.”

Merritt would soon escape from that camp, participating in the longest tunnel escape in the war with the exception ofThe Great Escape. “I wondered around for three days before I was picked up,” recalled Merritt. He spent the remainder of the war in the infamous Colditz Castle where hardened escapers were held. Following the war he returned to his law practise, spending one term as a Progressive Conservative Member of Parliament for Vancouver. His figure adorned a Canadian war poster with the caption: “Men of Valor: They fight for you.”

Merrit died in 2000.

Ken MacLeod is a retired teacher and an Honorary Life Member of both the South Saskatchewan Regiment and the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. As a military historian he has conducted 29 pilgrimages in northwest Europe and Sicily-Italy to visit the battlefields where Canadians in the First and Second World Wars and also lie buried and are commemorated.


The genesis of the 'Canadian Scottish'


  Lt. Col. Stephen Sawyer with the wooden cross at the Bay Street Armoury that was erected by soldiers after Vimy Ridge   Photograph By DARREN STONE, Times Colonist

Lt. Col. Stephen Sawyer with the wooden cross at the Bay Street Armoury that was erected by soldiers after Vimy Ridge   Photograph By DARREN STONE, Times Colonist

Of all the items at the Bay Street Armoury, soldiers of the Canadian Scottish Regiment salute only two: The Canadian flag and the original wooden Vimy Cross.

“We always tell our soldiers: ‘You are standing on the shoulders of the men who created history,’ ” said Lt. Col. Stephen Sawyer, commander of the Canadian Scottish. “This relic, this cross, is a reminder of that history.”

Members of the 16th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces erected the wooden cross in France during the days following April 12, 1917, regarded now as the conclusion of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.

In 1938 the cross was brought to Victoria and erected in Pioneer Square. In 1951, after a stone cross was put in its place, the wooden Vimy Cross was brought inside the armoury and preserved behind glass in a prominent place of honour.

According to Sawyer and other regimental history buffs, the wooden cross was actually unofficial. During the First World War, it was typical for soldiers to erect monuments at the site of combat actions on their own initiative.

Also unofficial was the name “Canadian Scottish,” which was not inscribed on any uniform shoulder flashes, badges or buttons. Officially, the unit was called the 16th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

And on the April 9, 1917, the start of the battle, the 16th Battalion was just one part of the 1st Canadian Division, one of five divisions — four Canadian and one British — going into action.

But the name “Canadian Scottish” had sprung up and grown almost by itself. People referred to men of the unit as “The Canadian Scottish.” And by the start of the Vimy Ridge battle, the men of the unit were calling themselves “The Canadian Scottish.”

Michael Heppell, former regimental commander and one-time Victoria fire chief, said the name likely arose because the 16th Division was formed by the amalgamation of four Scottish regiments, all raised in Canada.

The Gordon Highlanders, raised in Victoria, joined the Seaforth Highlanders from Vancouver, the Cameron Highlanders from Winnipeg, and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders from Hamilton, Ont.

Army officialdom, lacking human flair, or perhaps not wanting to be seen favouring any one of the regiments, decided the new unit would be the 16th Battalion.

But Heppell thinks soldiers, being human, preferred names over numbers, so those four Scottish regiments raised in Canada were happy being “The Canadian Scottish.”

“Numbers are just not very inspiring, so guys would give themselves their own names,” said Heppell.

And when it came time to inscribe the wooden cross at the conclusion of the battle, the men simply painted the words “In Memory of officers, NCOs & Men Canadian Scottish who fell in action Vimy Ridge 9. 4. 17.”

Nevertheless, it took army officialdom until 1920, two years after the end of hostilities, to formally decree the reserve regiment raised in Victoria would be called “The Canadian Scottish.”

Now, if they happen to be in uniform and walk past the Vimy Cross, members of the Canadian Scottish will give the relic a salute.

And every Remembrance Day, following any parades or ceremonies, members of the Canadian Scottish will gather inside the Bay Street Armoury, facing the same wooden Vimy Cross.

Afterwards, they remove the poppies from their uniforms and affix them to a cushion, leaving them at the base of the Vimy Cross until the following year.


The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada